Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2682
Title: Evening Reference Librarian
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Library
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Evening Reference Librarian provides students, staff, and faculty with research and reference assistance. The Evening Reference Librarian supervises the operation of the library's computer lab during the evening hours and serves as a subject librarian and faculty liaison.
- Provides students, staff, and faculty with researches and reference assistance
- Supervises the operation of the library's computer lab
- Designs and develops library research guides
- Provides library instruction within subject assignments, and performs collection development
- Maintains awareness of current library news and trends
- Performs all other duties assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from a University accredited by the American Library Association.
- Minimum of one (1) year of job related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of technological trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to academic libraries.
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- The ability to successfully plan and implement multiple technology projects at one time.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment; computer laboratory; library environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.