Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5999
Title: Electronic Security Systems Technician
Department: Public Safety
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Police
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Electronic Security Systems Technician installs, maintains, repairs, and monitors the functionality of the university's electronic security and CCTV systems.
- Performs all aspects of installations of additions or replacements to the campus access control system, including cabling, device and hardware set up, and initial programming
- Completes a daily camera checklist for over 600 cameras; confirms viewable images and recording; makes any repairs or corrections required
- Confirms that the remote video monitoring stations are operating; assists their users as necessary
- Cables and installs analog and/or IP cameras and associated hardware throughout the campus and performs the associated programming and configuration
- Physically tests access controlled doors for functionality; logs results and either repairs immediately or schedules maintenance; responds to calls regarding access problems due to door hardware
- Tests all alarm inputs, including the duress button, lockdown system, and doors and openings; repairs issues as they are found.
- Performs preventive maintenance quarterly on all access control hardware
- Installing, maintaining, and testing panic buttons; informs users about panic buttons
- Downloads and installs updates to all PCs connected to the camera server, allowing them to work efficiently; informs users of updates and changes
- Completes and provides documentation for all testing and maintenance of security and CCTV systems; provides training for users as necessary
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic electronics, simple circuits, and access control systems
- Understanding of schematic drawings and blueprints
- Knowledge of the functionality of alarms, access control systems, CCTV, and electrical door hardware.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good conflict management and negotiation skills
- Excellent project management and multitasking skills.
- Ability to use a multimeter
- Ability to use ladders and lifts
- Ability to use hand and power tools
- Ability to learn to program new software.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works is normally performed in an interior work environment, but at times may require exposure to dirty or dusty environments or adverse weather conditions.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment
- Individual is physically comfortable and has discretion about sitting, walking, standing, etc., and has occasional exposure to physical risks. Work involves moderate exposure to elements, such as inclement weather, extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, oils, and airborne particles
- May occasionally require working in a confined space and in high dangerous places.
- May, on rare occasions, work near moving mechanical parts
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to vibration, hazardous traffic conditions, and a risk of electric shock.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must be able to move up to 75lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.