Basic Position Information
Job Code: 6058
Title: Electrician Apprentice I
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 08
Grade Min: $29,995
Grade Mid: $35,244
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Electrician Apprentice I performs assigned work tasks under supervision, attends scheduled classes, and completes related studies, which will qualify the Electrician Apprentice to progress to the second year of their apprenticeship.
- Checks the work orders daily
- Meets with supervisor to determine daily priorities
- Gets materials and tools required to complete work orders or tasks
- Completes tasks; troubleshoots issues if required
- Ensures that repaired equipment is operating correctly before leaving a task
- Cleans areas after task completion; returns tools
- Conducts routine inspection of all UHD premises and equipment
- Receives approximately 2080 hours of on-the job instruction
- Receives instruction during the performance of shop assignments under guidance of a journeyman electrician
- Attends 144 hours of academic instruction and completes related on-the job training under supervision of UHD/FM Master Electrician
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Must be able to obtain State of Texas / TDLR Apprentice Electrician's License within one (1) year of position employment
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Basic understanding of electrical wiring and the Electrical Code;
- Knowledge of using commonly used tools; knowledge of basic safety procedures
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an inside and outdoor environment
- Employee will be exposed to normal hazards of construction and demolition. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- May be exposed to moving mechanical parts, hazardous traffic conditions, potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals, and the risk of electric shock
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high, dangerous place
- May be exposed to vibration or loud noise. May, on rare occasions, be required to wear a respirator
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs
- Must have the ability to climb stairs and a ladder and maintain balance
- May occasionally be required to drive or operate university vehicles
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.