Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2150
Title: Director, Technology Learning Services
Department: Technology Learning Services
Essential Personnel: N/A
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Instructional Technology
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Technology Learning Services administers and directs the long-range planning, purchasing, developing, managing, and evaluation of instructional, learning, and support services of technologies, IT training, multi-media and event planning, video editing and production, and digital signage services.
- Attends and participates in various meetings, events, training sessions, and information sessions in support of key operational decisions and events
- Oversees and monitors budgets and expenditures, ensuring that expenses are within budget limits and that appropriate fiscal practices are followed
- Prepares a wide variety of communications, reports, and documents
- Plans, supports, coordinates, and assists in the long term administration of the university's course management system application; provides direct assistance and support to others as required
- Oversees the training support services that provide all IT support related planning and training activities
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Management, Education Leadership, Education Technology, Instructional Technology, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Supervisory experience is preferred
- Previous teaching experience in higher education is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of technological instructional, learning, and support services in a higher education setting, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Good technical skills; strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to plan budgets strategically for the long-term; ability to work well under pressure;
- Ability to oversee professional training and support services;
- Ability to collaborate with others
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment, classroom, training room, or auditorium for 2 to 4 hours.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.