Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2460
Title: Director, Technical Services
Department: Technical Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 20
Grade Min: $105,177
Grade Mid: $128,842
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director, Technical Services leads the Technical Services section in the IT department, which consists of the Windows, Linux, and Networking teams that support the enterprise-wide infrastructure of the university.
- Represents Technical Services in new initiatives and existing projects across the university by attending meetings, making suggestions, and working with others inside and outside of the IT department
- Oversees the financial responsibilities of Technical Services, including software and hardware renewals and any new projects requiring professional services, software, or hardware acquisitions
- Supervises all aspects of staff management including professional development, staff selection, and performance evaluations
- Develops and implements security strategies, policies, and procedures consistent with applicable law, university policies, and the university's educational mission
- Researches and develops new technologies to aid with disaster recovery, to develop cloud initiatives, to improve the use of current technologies, and to make financial savings
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s).
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience, including extensive technical experiences with one or more infrastructure technologies; local and wide area Networking Operation, Server and Database administration, or Information Security.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Strong knowledge of all aspects of managing a Technical Services section
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Proficiency in MS Excel
- Strong management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to hire, supervise, and evaluate professional staff
- Ability to manage budgets
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.