Basic Position Information
Job Code: 1016
Title: Director, Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) and Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning (CCESL)
Department: Quality Enhancement Plan
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director oversees the implementation of UHD's Quality Enhancement Plan (QEP) and the administration of the Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning (CCESL). The Director ensures that the center is thriving; this entails continuing and enhancing the current initiatives including Service Learning courses, signature events, and others, as well as developing new projects.
- Directs the activities and administrative functions related to A+CE course designations, assessments, and faculty development
- Plans the annual A+CE faculty orientations and other informational sessions for UHD community
- Serves on the A+CE Advisory Council and Implementation Committee, working closely with and guiding the staff of QEP and CCESL; generates reports for UHD community
- Manages records in preparation for the SACSCOC impact report
- Collects and reviews Faculty Champions applications; works with champions to encourage instructors to teach A+CE designated courses
- Leads Community Engagement and A+CE immersion activities across campus, including, but not limited to, Martin Luther King Parade participation, Buffalo Bayou Service Project, Service Learning Appreciation Luncheon, Community Partners Fair, Walk to Vote; works collaboratively with Academic and Student Affairs as necessary
- Manages the review of Service Learning applications, ensures that financial accounts are set up, and manages the GatorSync portals for the Service Learning courses, communicating with faculty as necessary
- Maintains the Honor Roll and Carnegie-Community Engagement designation; applies for new designations
- Oversees the community engagement work study program with an Americore VISTA working in the office: the CCESL will administer the work study program related to community engagement
- Maintains the CCESL webpage and calendar
- Collaborate with programs to develop curricular related to Community Engagement
- Performs all other duties assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Ph.D. Doctoral degree in Social Sciences, Science, Education or related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of UHD's QEP and how it will be implemented over the next five years; understanding of the mission of CCESL and the importance of building relationship between the UHD and Greater Houston communities
- Knowledge of the importance of community engagement in preparing students to successfully compete in the 21st century
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Excellent organizational skills
- Ability to manage several projects simultaneously and to meet deadlines
- Ability to work with confidential or sensitive information
- Ability to apply critical thinking and to exercise good judgement
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community; ability to work collaboratively.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.