Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2072
Title: Director, Payroll and Records
Department: Employment Svcs & Operations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Employment Services and Operations
Job Sub-Family: ESO Operations
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Payroll & Records oversees records and payroll operations, including, but not limited to, policy and procedure development, training and coaching, assigning duties, and supporting employees.
- Develops policies and procedures related to electronic records, e-personnel files, records management, etc.
- Reviews and updates policies as necessary
- Develops retention schedules and procedures for archiving data
- Processes payroll records and approves changes made in PASS by employees
- Makes any necessary corrections in the employee information system
- Serves as a liaison between the System Payroll office and the university
- Identifies and corrects all payroll discrepancies
- Troubleshoots issues and problems that arise in payroll
- Calculates earnings for terminations, vacation, and contributions and withdrawals to the sick leave pool, performing data entry as necessary
- Collaborates with IT to develop query reports and to make any necessary upgrades in the records management system
- Plans document imaging projects for other units and works with unit heads on security levels, document indexing, and scanning needs
- Analyzes data and maintains personnel records in the system
- Audits documents scanned by the records support staff
- Maintains the on-line directory
- Handles the processing, scanning, and indexing of all sensitive data such as performance appraisals, grievances, and disciplinary action records
- Processes verification of employment requests from external sources
- Assists in reviewing data from the employee information system that feeds to other university systems
- Creates and updates job codes and position numbers in the system
- Recommends changes to improve filing system efficiency
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- PHR, SPHR, SHRM-CP, SHRM-SCP, or CPP certification is preferred
- Professional Degree in Human Resources, Business, Finance, Accounting, or a related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the processes, trends, and best practices in the payroll and records functions.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to lead and manage a team
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc.
- Individual has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.