Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2093
Title: Director, Laboratory
Department: Natural Sciences
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Laboratory will supervise the lab coordinators and technicians who set up 200 lab course sections every semester. The Director will oversee and approve the purchase of supplies to support the teaching labs, coordinate and procure large equipment items, coordinate with Facilities Management regarding the maintenance of Natural Science teaching and research labs in One Main Building and Science and Technology Building.
- Provides training and guidance and plans, assigns, and directs the work of the laboratory coordinators and technicians, oversees laboratory set-ups, and ensures efficient operations of demonstrations and/or equipment in teaching laboratories
- Collaborates with Environmental Health & Safety staff in overseeing laboratory safety and ensuring labs remain in compliance and implements changes to lab safety protocols when necessary
- Oversees the procurement of lab supplies and equipment related to the teaching and research labs
- Oversees maintenance and repairs of lab equipment
- Coordinates with facilities and management regarding maintenance of teaching and research labs
- Represents department on university-wide safety and compliance committees
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Master's degree in Chemistry, Biology, Microbiology or related field
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
- Previous experience in the role of lab coordinator
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices in the disciplines offered in the department
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, project management, interpersonal/communication skills and managerial skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment (5-6 hours) and a lab/preparation area (2-3 hours)
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
- Must have good spatial awareness. Will frequently be exposed to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals
- May be required to move items of up to 20lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.