Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2267
Title: Director, Institutional Research
Department: Institutional Effectiveness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Institutional Research oversees the required reporting for the university, primarily to state and federal agencies, and produces the information needed for data-driven decision-making within the university, including ad-hoc reports.
- Directs the completion of federal and state mandated reports, ensuring that they are completed accurately and on time.
- Creates, and oversees the creation of, reports, both ad-hoc and regularly scheduled reports, to support decision-making for the university.
- Oversees the responses to requests for data received from internal and external groups, including UHS, and data pertaining to open records and grant reporting.
- Works closely with the IT department to maintain and enhance a data warehouse and reporting solutions for the university, to support automated reporting to decision makers.
- Represents the university in community, governmental, and professional organizations as appropriate.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of using databases and data structures, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to query data from systems; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.