Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2095
Title: Director, General Accounting and Financial Reporting
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Significant
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director of General Accounting and Financial Reporting is responsible for the timely and accurate reporting of the University's operating results on a monthly, annual (AFR) and ad-hoc basis.
The Director manages the daily general accounting operations and ensures compliance with GAAP and federal, state and university rules and regulations.
- Manages the day-to-day accounting functions which include: chart of accounts maintenance, property accounting, state accounting, general ledger, bank account and accounts receivable reconciliations
- Manages the financial reporting functions of the University consistent with standard accounting practices and policies
- Coordinates the fiscal year-end processes and procedures and UHD's submission of the Annual Financial Report (AFR) and various other State of Texas reports
- Coordinates work relating to both internal and external audits in the periodic review of the financial records
- Oversees the implementation of agreed upon recommendations, related to areas of responsibility, resulting from the audit findings
- Performs other duties as assigned
- Supervises full-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; coaching and counseling; and granting time off. Provides recommendations on training; handling employee grievances and complaints; promotions; hiring new employees; discharging employees; disciplinary actions; and scheduling work hours of employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Business, Finance, Economics or related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of progressive and relevant experience
- Master's degree in Accounting, Finance, Business, Economics or a related field
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA), designation must be current
- Experience in Higher Education
- Experience with PeopleSoft Financials
- Experience with State of Texas Accounting Systems (USAS)
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.