Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2275
Title: Director, Financial Aid
Department: Financial Aid
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Financial Aid
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 20
Grade Min: $105,177
Grade Mid: $128,842
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Crucial
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Financial Aid provides oversight in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid, by developing and directing financial aid strategies, policies, and procedures to serve the university's goals, maximize enrollment results, minimize risk, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and university regulations, policies. and statutes.
- Provides oversight in the Office of Scholarships and Financial Aid and supervises staff; provides leadership for managing risk and developing an effective plan and vision in the administration of all programs.
- Develops and directs financial aid strategies, policies, and procedures to serve the university's goals, maximize enrollment results, minimize risk, and ensure compliance with federal, state, and university regulations, policies and statutes; leads proactively, anticipating and responding appropriately to external challenges and regulatory changes.
- Serves as the Chief Compliance Officer for Title IV federal aid regulations, working closely with other state and national agencies.
- Ensures that required reporting is completed and submitted accurately and in a timely manner.
- Provides leadership for the development and management of a comprehensive scholarship and financial aid program grounded in fair and equitable distribution of student financial assistance to eligible applicants, utilizing innovative delivery and management strategies; oversees the fiscal stewardship accountability of aid programs.
- Provides leadership in the continuous improvement of the financial aid management system, coordinating with Information Technology regarding the automation of services, upgrades, and the implementation of various features in the financial aid module of the financial aid management system.
- Ensures the timely delivery of aid to students in an atmosphere of superior customer service.
- Resolves student issues related to financial aid or the enforcement or appeal of federal or state policies.
- Provides leadership for the planning, management, and evaluation of programs, personnel, and budgets.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of progressively responsible experience in a Financial Aid office, including experience with directing staff and student records.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Financial Aid regulations, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices in a higher education environment.
- Demonstrable budgeting, financial, and data reporting skills;
- Excellent leadership and management skills;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to understand and assess office compliance with federal and state regulations; ability to work collaboratively,
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section planning and assessment consistent with the university's goals and objectives and executive management's directives.
- Develops and oversees administration of the department/section budget to ensure effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment that advances department/section operations and initiatives through motivation, encouragement, and professional development of staff.
- Develops department/section procedures and work rules for compliance with government regulations and university policies; participates in the development and revision of applicable university policies.
- Competently represents the department/section through interactions with the university community and/or external constituents.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.