Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2800
Title: Director, College Administration and Operations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Support
Job Sub-Family: Business Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N/A
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, College Administration & Operations directs the administrative, financial, and human resources administrative and non-academic operations of the college. The Director provides oversight of budgetary development and forecasting, payroll, procurement, contract administration, research administration, facilities, space management, and inventory control.
- Directs and oversees financial, human resources, and grant administration activities and operations, including reviewing and approving expenditures and personnel documents.
- Directs and oversees budget preparations; monitors and reviews college budgets, revenues, expenses, and fund equity balances; assists with strategic budget planning for forecasting and projections.
- Produces financial statements with revenue and expense projections; provides guidance and/or suggestions on funding sources for college initiatives.
- Reviews and approves monthly cost center verification reports and ensures that verifications are prepared and approved by cost center managers in a timely manner.
- Monitors faculty and staff effort reporting related to sponsored projects; provides oversight of requisition-to-hire and onboarding processes for new faculty and staff; reviews and approves faculty credential folders at college-level; supervises and evaluates staff.
- Reviews and approves college scholarship awards, ensuring that they meet donor requirements; provides oversight to ensure that applicable policies and guidelines are met.
- Serves as a resource for deans, department chairs, directors, faculty, and principal investigators regarding strategic financial and administrative matters and to interpret and adhere to state, federal, university, and college policies and procedures to ensure compliance; provides functional guidance and direction to college administrative staff on policies, financial, and operational requirements.
- Maintains the college cross-training model for administrative staff to ensure flexibility in coverage.
- Oversees the building, space management, key control, and physical inventory control processes related to departments and the college.
- Acts as the liaison between internal (business offices) and external constituents (vendors); serves on various university-wide and college committees as assigned.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Research Administration experience is preferred
- Master's degree in accounting or finance is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of basic fund accounting principles, internal control practices, procurement methodologies, budget development, and the application and enforcement of relevant policies and procedures;
- Knowledge of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Basic knowledge of scholarship award process in a higher education setting.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in PeopleSoft and MS Excel,
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Good leadership skills;
- Strong attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, communicate, and interpret financial data;
- Ability to run reports;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.