Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2305
Title: Director, Budget
Department: Budget Office
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Budget Director directs and manages the operations and the staff of the Budget Office. This includes overseeing the preparation and continued maintenance of the University's operating budget, capital budget, tuition, and fee forecasting and structure to ensure that the University's fiscal goals, operations, and vision are met.
- Oversees the preparation of the University's annual operating budget and allocates resources
- Directs the forecasting of revenues, evaluation of changes to the University's tuition and fee structure, and capital budget
- Directs the preparation of the LAR (Legislative Appropriation Request) and other various state reports
- Oversees and manages the budgetary approval, cost center allocation, and payroll suspense clearing for all positions within the University
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance, hiring new employees, disciplinary actions, scheduling work hours, granting time off, and making recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints.
- Bachelor's degree in Accounting, Finance, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of accounting, finance, budgeting, funding and related operating processes in a university environment
- Excellent organizational, analytical, problem solving and time management skills
- Effective interpersonal and communication skills
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel
- Ability to multitask, prioritize, and organize
- Ability to be flexible and adaptable in response to changing needs and events
- Ability to manage people and to use independent judgement
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in one or more functional areas.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify user issues with existing systems and coordinate resolution with technical staff.
- Understands business processes to successfully integrate them with existing and new systems.
- Competent to coordinate requests for system modifications with technical staff.
- Willing to share expertise and provide functional assistance to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.