Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2861
Title: Director, Alumni Relations
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Alumni & Events
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Individualized
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Alumni Relations develops and implements strategies to engage alumni and enhance the effectiveness of their relationship with various internal departments to involve alumni through activities, volunteerism, fundraising, networking, stewardship and engagement.
- Plans, direct and executes alumni activities and programs that support the strategic goals of the University
- Initiates, coordinates and manages activities of the Alumni Council and Alumni Association
- Collaborates with academic units, Student Affairs and other university departments to recruit, organize and deploy alumni volunteers
- Develops and oversees a broad-based communication plan to include email, print, social media and web
- Works with Student Affairs to create and implement programs to engage graduating students as alumni
- Collaborates with development colleagues to increase alumni annual fund support and identify prospects
- Assists with the maintenance of alumni records and interactions via written contact reports
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of experience in alumni relations or student affairs
- Experience in higher education
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the trends, issues, and practices pertaining to higher education.
- Organizational and time management skills
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituents in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is usually performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; may occasionally be required to work in inclement weather conditions. Individual has discretion in relation to sitting (80%) walking (15%), standing (15%) etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.