Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2222
Title: Director, Advancement Services & Business Operations
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: University Advancement
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Director, Advancement Services & Business Operations manages the administrative, financial, and human resources operations of a division. Directs the development, implementation and management oversight of all administrative functions for the Office of the President and the Division of Advancement & University Relations. Works closely with presidential, marketing, and fundraising staff on matters related to hiring, purchasing, contract administration, and compliance with UH System policies.
- Manages the financial activities of the unit; reviews and approves expenditure documents, including vouchers, requisitions, contracts, and p-card expense reports
- Oversees the processing and acknowledgment of gifts, pledges, pledge payments, matching claims, and other contributions to the university from private funding sources
- Directs UHD gift management; coordinates endowment agreements with UH System on behalf of UHD; monitors endowment agreements
- Analyzes, forecasts, and makes recommendations for current and future budget expenditures, including those required for special or one-time projects
- Consults with hiring managers and presents options
- Reviews and approves personnel documents
- Interprets, reviews and updates departmental policies and procedures to ensure compliance. Takes corrective action as needed
- Performs monthly verifications of cost centers and generates monthly financial and budget reports
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Bachelor's degree in Business Administration or a related field is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of creating and understanding of financial statements
- Knowledge of laws, regulations, university policies and procedures relating to university funding
- Knowledge of methods of ensuring compliance with all relevant procedures
- Strong problem solving skills and attention to detail
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills required to liaise with a wide range of internal and external constituencies
- Ability to manage people
- Ability to build rapport and trust with people
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.