Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2001
Title: Director, Academic Advising Center
Department: Academic Advising
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Director of the Academic Advising Center provides leadership and oversight of the Academic Advising Center, and establishes and oversees the plans and processes necessary to meet internal and external expectations.
- Collaborates with the leadership of the university to articulate and implement an overall campus vision for the Academic Advising Center.
- Recruits, trains, and supervises advisors and staff.
- Implements effective team building strategies for advising staff, and facilitates ongoing professional development.
- Assesses advising outcomes for students and the effectiveness of the Advising Center.
- Monitors developments and trends in advising and follows up with changes as appropriate.
- Develops and monitors data on advising and mentoring to track growth and program needs.
- Manages and maintains advising and retention records.
- Oversees long range planning for the Advising Center; develops budgets; ensures that the Centre is run in a cost-efficient manner that is consistent with institutional protocols.
- Represents the Advising Center on university committees and at functions as necessary.
- Collaborates with the Gator Success Center and other units on campus as necessary to ensure student success.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of leadership experience within an Academic Advising Center;
- Experience working at an HIS or MSI institution;
- Experience managing or coordinating staff.
- Experience working within EAB Navigate;
- Experience with caseload management to support student success;
- Experience working collaboratively with college Advising Centers to support student success
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and best practices relevant to the position.
- Strong analytical and problem-solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal skills.
- Ability to lead and direct a diverse group of high-achievers, and to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals, departments, and bodies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.