Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2173
Title: Department Business Administrator II
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Support
Job Sub-Family: Business Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Department Business Administrator II manages the administrative, financial and human resources operations of a moderately complex department
- Oversees overall office administration for the department, including the coordination and supervision of support staff.
- In conjunction with the department head, plans the annual budget and monitors it throughout the year to ensure that expenditures are within authorized budget.
- Oversees all financial activities and account for the department, including the monthly reconciliations of accounts.
- Authorizes and oversees all activities related to budget allocations, revenue and expenditures.
- Manages department personnel and payroll functions and activities.
- Serves as the department liaison with payroll and Employment Services and Operations and other department business managers.
- Oversees the management and maintenance of database for all personnel and payroll records.
- Interprets university policies and procedures for faculty and staff.
- Reviews and approved the reconciliations of accounting records with university reports financial statements and prepares recurring financial/budget reports for internal purposes.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Performs tasks related to specific department/college.
- May oversee expenditures of grants and contracts and maintain related fiscal records in coordination with the Office of Sponsored Programs.
- Supervises full-time and/or part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assign work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes final decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes final decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes final decision on granting time off
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all relevant university policies and procedures, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good organizational and time management skills
- Ability to supervise staff
- Ability to multitask
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.