Basic Position Information
Job Code: 7135
Title: Custodial and Grounds Assistant
Department: Facilities Management
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Administrative Operations
Job Sub-Family: Facilities Management
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 08
Grade Min: $29,995
Grade Mid: $35,244
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Custodial & Grounds Assistant maintains the cleanliness of the university.
- Wipes and scrubs sinks, toilets, and tiles
- Replenishes soap, towels, toilet paper, and other amenities as necessary
- Vacuums carpet in offices, rooms, and public areas; spot cleans carpet as assigned
- Sweeps, mops and scrubs floors, stairs, and other areas inside and outside of buildings
- Empties waste baskets, pencil sharpeners, and other trash containers daily
- Replaces light bulbs throughout the campus as assigned
- Arranges furniture in classrooms and labs; cleans chalk and marker boards
- Responds to all service calls regarding spills, leaks, broken glass, and other custodial functions
- Reports any necessary repairs
- Is on call 24 hours a day for general maintenance incidences
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- High School Diploma or equivalent
- Minimum of six (6) months of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the general custodial tasks that are required on a university campus
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an inside and outdoor environment.
- Work involves moderate exposure to unpleasant elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, oils, dirt, dust, fumes, and airborne particles.
- Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping, climbing, and frequent reaching
- Must have the ability to identify and distinguish colors
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 60lbs
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.