Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3452
Title: Coordinator, Veterans Services
Department: Veterans' Affairs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Enrollment Management
Job Sub-Family: Admissions
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Veterans Services provides customer service to members of various branches of the military, Veterans and military affiliated students, trouble shoots problems with registration, eligibility requirements and payment of benefits. The Coordinator is responsible for recruiting and advising prospective Veteran Students.
- Processes veteran affairs certifications and maintains application forms and files
- Maintains accurate student records and regularly audits the records to ensure compliance with Veterans Administration guidelines
- Assists Veterans Administration auditors with annual compliance assistance visits
- Troubleshoots problems with student accounts, registration holds, excess course fees, grades, and academic standing
- Serves as an advocate for Veteran students
- Maintains Veterans publications, email communications, and web site information
- Assists with maintaining and updating all social media outlets regarding federal educational benefits, and other publications relating to the University and other partnerships
- Develops relationships with external veteran organizations and internal departments
- Attends internal/external functions to promote and increase Veterans enrollment
- Provides assistance with planning and delivering activities and programming to engage Veterans Students
- Provides programming during orientations and campus visits to educate visitors about functions of Veterans Services
- Maintains education and training (yearly) to remain current with Veterans Administration policies and regulations
- Assists in guiding the Student Veterans Organization within the community
- Performs all other duties assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
- Knowledge in specific program is an asset
- Knowledge in PeopleSoft System is an asset
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of all Veterans Administrations educational benefits to provide guidance and education to students and other key stakeholders
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills, verbal and written
- Student advising, strong problem solving skills, excellent interpersonal skills, communication skills, verbal and written
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting, walking and standing.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.