Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5178
Title: Coordinator, Sustainability
Department: Sciences & Technology
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Sustainability provides support and expertise to the Center for Urban Agriculture and Sustainability, to assist in educating students at UHD.
- Creates vouchers for student stipends; runs student programs; communicates with students in relation to programs and education.
- Makes purchases for the CUAS and maintains the gardens.
- Mentors students engaged in urban agriculture and sustainability issues and projects.
- Manages CUAS budgets.
- Represents the CUAS, establishing and maintaining relationships with staff, faculty, students, and others beyond the campus, to provide opportunities for education, outreach, research, and volunteering on urban agriculture and sustainability.
- Conducts research and collects relevant data.
- Builds collaborative partnerships with other educational institutions, businesses, government, and non-profit organizations to further engage the campus and community in sustainability programs and practices.
- Researches and maintains knowledge of best practices in relation to sustainability.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees
- Bachelor's degree in Science or a related field
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
- Knowledge of higher education administration is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of how to start and maintain a garden; knowledge of sustainability principles and best practices.
- Basic accounting and budgeting skills;
- Strong analytical and planning skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Demonstrable commitment to sustainability and diversity.
- Ability to create vouchers and produce reports;
- Ability to work independently and to manage multiple tasks simultaneously without daily supervision, ability to effectively communicate and work with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements. Work involves some exposure to elements, such as adverse weather conditions, extreme temperatures, and airborne particles. Position requires maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing, or walking for prolonged periods of time, as well as for bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, climbing, and frequent reaching. May, on rare occasions, be exposed to hazardous traffic conditions and the risk of electric shock. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.