Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5012
Title: Coordinator, Sports
Department: Sports and Fitness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Sports coordinates, markets, and facilitates sports programs.
- Schedules, promotes and conducts intramural and club sports leagues and tournaments in various sports
- Recruits, hires, supervises and schedules staff
- Creates accountability, evaluative and reward systems for intramural and club sports participants
- Inspects and maintains equipment/uniform inventory
- Coordinates and facilities summer sports programs/camps for new and existing students
- Creates training programs for sports officials
- Serves as advisor for club sports
- Performs other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Occasionally assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes final decision on evaluating employee performance; scheduling work hours of other employees; on coaching and counseling; training; handling employee grievances and complaints; granting time off. Provides recommendations on promotions; salary increases; hiring new employees; discharging employees; and disciplinary actions.
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in gymnasium or other physical training rooms 2 to 4 hours; sports field or courts 2 to 4 hours..
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.