Basic Position Information
Job Code: 5149
Title: Coordinator, Sports & Fitness
Department: Sports and Fitness
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 11
Grade Min: $39,923
Grade Mid: $46,910
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Coordinator, Sports & Fitness coordinates, markets, and facilitates the university's sports and fitness programs. Duties will differ based on area of responsibility such as sports programs or fitness programs.
- Schedules, promotes, and markets all sports and fitness programs, including announcing recent events and accomplishments, upcoming special events, games, and tournaments.
- Supervises the programming and services provided at the fitness center, as well as the staff responsible.
- Creates accountability and reward systems for sport and fitness program participants.
- Assists with various events associated with sport and fitness, including but not limited to awards banquets, welcome week, health fairs, and orientation.
- Serves as an adviser for various sports and fitness programs, for sports teams, and for the Club Sports Council.
- Oversees the structure and organization of club sports events, including practice, games, tournaments, and any travel that is required.
- Serves as the league and tournament commissioner for all intramural sport programs, collecting results and inputting data of intramural competitions, and overseeing the related student staff; provides the weekly schedule, results, and roster updates for league and tournament teams prior to scheduled games; oversees the structure, organization, and operation of all intramural league and tournament events and games.
- Creates training and development programs for student staff, club sport coaches, and club sport officers.
- Oversees student staff as required.
- Inspects and maintains all athletic and sport equipment and uniforms; inspects and maintains the Gym, Sports Field, and off campus facilities used by club or intramural sports.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time and Part Time Employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Sports Administration, Health and Wellness, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license. Certification for fitness teaching or personal training is required.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the sports and fitness programs, clubs, and facilities available in a higher education environment, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good leadership skills.
- Ability to work as part of a team;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in gymnasium or other physical training room (2 - 4 hours) and a sports field or court (2 - 4 hours).
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as extreme or inclement temperatures. Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors. Must have the ability to move items of up to 45lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.