Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2253
Title: Coordinator, Prior Learning Assessment
Department: Programming and Curriculum
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Academic Affairs
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator of Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) assists the Office of the Provost in developing and overseeing UHD's range of PLA initiatives. The Coordinator supports the development of assessment instruments, tracks the applications for all prior learning credits, keeps current on accreditation requirements and trends in prior learning assessment, and notifies academic departments of changes in testing and discipline-specific opportunities. The Coordinator promotes prior learning options, addresses, coordinates student queries, and manages the administration of assessments while maintaining records and preparing reports as needed for the grant that supports the position.
- Works collaboratively with faculty, administration, and outside agencies to review, recommend, and revise policies and practices related to evaluating and awarding credit for students' prior learning. The Coordinator will ensure UHD's policies and practices are in compliance with accreditation standards
- Assists faculty in identifying and designing appropriate assessment instruments used to evaluate students' prior learning and aligning those instruments with the outcomes and content of UHD courses
- Consults in the design and ongoing management of a campus-wide database to track the number of students pursuing prior learning assessment activities, including information on tests administered, credits awarded, and methods used to award credit
- Evaluates, assesses, and implements strategies to improve the process within the Prior Learning Assessment (PLA) program continuously
- Prepares or contributes to quarterly and annual productivity and effectiveness reports
- Works with Registrar to ensure prior learning credit is reflected on student records and captured in articulation processes per university policy
- Conducts training sessions to assist faculty, advisors, and admissions staff in understanding their roles in the prior learning assessment process
- Assumes a lead role in assisting students in determining the appropriateness of pursuing prior learning credits based on students' individual circumstances and experiences in consultation with discipline-specific faculty as appropriate
- Serves as point of contact and resource to answer questions from students, faculty, and staff related to prior learning credits at UHD
- Creates and maintains, in coordination with appropriate divisions, all print and electronic media related to current practices, policies, and procedures in awarding prior learning credit
- Performs other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of two (2) years of job-related experience
- Experience teaching credit bearing courses in higher education
- Experience or academic preparation in assessment or test design
- Experience working with university-level faculty
- Experience with best practices in the assessment of students' prior learning and related academic issues
- Demonstrated understanding of competency-based education
- Experience conducting workshops and trainings for university faculty and staff
- Knowledge of MS Access and/or PeopleSoft
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the assessment of prior student learning, such as assessment of learning outcomes, test development and item analysis, portfolio design and assessment, and rubric development and norming
- Knowledge of external services used in the documentation of prior learning such as ACE credit, CLEP, Advance Placement, and International Baccalaureate programs.
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem-solving skills and excellent interpersonal and strong written and oral communication skills
- Proficiency with Windows, MS Word, and MS Excel software
- Proficiency in analyzing data and preparing reports
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to organize and work independently as a leader and as part of a team
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.