Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3406
Title: Coordinator, Laboratory
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Coordinator, Laboratory coordinates the lab preparations and daily operations of assigned labs, and coordinates common lab supply usages between classrooms and research labs.
- Provides technical and instructional support.
- Collaborates with the Environmental and Health and Safety Department to oversee the implementation of safety procedures in the lab based on federal and state guidelines.
- Oversees lab personnel and provides guidance and proper training.
- Procures and maintains lab supplies and equipment.
- Manages the lab budget.
- Ensures that safety procedures are implemented.
- Researches and builds lab experiments as needed and approved.
- Assists the department and research personnel to conserve resources.
- Provides specialized classroom instruction to students as required.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or Part Time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Manages student assistants, conducts performance evaluations, and makes hiring recommendations.
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of safe operational practices in a lab environment.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills.
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Good project management skills.
- Ability to manage student workers
- Ability to manage a budget
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (2 to 4 hours); a science laboratory (6 to 8 hours); a classroom, training room, or auditorium (2 to 4 hours).
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Demonstrates the essential skills required to use equipment and tools needed to perform job duties and responsibilities.
- Follows maintenance and operation procedures and safety rules to minimize equipment malfunctions and prevent personal injuries.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.