Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3883
Title: Coordinator, Events
Department: Conference & Events Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Alumni & Events
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Coordinator, Events coordinates and assists with university events to ensure that all relevant university policies are followed, and that a safe environment is provided for all in attendance.
- Coordinates all aspects of university events, includes planning, communicating, budgeting, creating proposals, and staging for campus and off-campus events.
- Schedules bookings for campus facilities for various events and meetings into EMS.
- Consults with internal and external clients regarding upcoming event needs, including budget, menu, time frame of the event, multimedia, and the guest list; coordinates as necessary with supporting departments, including, but not limited to, the Police department, Facilities, Parking Services, and Multimedia.
- Creates events and confirms event details, sending relevant particulars to supporting departments on a weekly basis.
- Prepares and reviews event furniture set-up using AutoCAD software.
- Participates in large university events, including setting up the room, welcoming and escorting external guests to the event, breaking down the event setup, and placing and removing directional signage.
- Meets with faculty, staff, and students as necessary to assist with event planning, and ensuring arrangements for all events adhere to the policies of the university.
- Prepares and processes financial documents and purchases; records all event payments, collecting supporting documentation and running any necessary reports.
- Meets with vendors to discuss the menu and service type required for the event, and vendor setup locations.
- Prepares event contracts.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or temporary employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels subordinate(s). Has responsibility for scheduling work hours and granting time off. May conduct performance evaluations and make recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Associate degree in Hospitality, Event Management, Facilities, Marketing, or a related field
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Ability to use AutoCAD is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of using professional scheduling systems.
- Strong MS Office skills;
- Good negotiation and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to use own initiative;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must be physically able to move items weighing up to 30lbs, and to reach and bend to handle catering supplies and to set up and tear down elements of an event space. Must be able to remain on one's feet for long hours during large events.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.