Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4131
Title: Computing Operations Specialist III
Department: Computing, Telecom & Video Net
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Computing / Telecom
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Computing Operations Specialist III supports and maintains functionality of all computer hardware equipment throughout the university, including PCs, laptops, printers, scanners, and any other IT related equipment, ensuring that equipment is operational at all times for staff, faculty, and students.
- Supervises and trains all student worker technicians in the installation, diagnostics, and repairs of all computing and peripheral equipment.
- Maintains an account of all computing and telecommunication repairs.
- Assigns the calls technicians.
- Supports and secures all university computing, telecommunications, and peripheral equipment.
- Assists managers with scheduling tasks and documentation.
- Assists the managers to evaluate student worker technicians.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Assign work to subordinate(s)
- Supervise the work of student worker
- Associate's degree or 60 hours of college course work
- Minimum of three (3) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Information Systems, or a related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of how to set up basic computer and peripheral equipment;
- Understanding of technical issues that arise in a higher education environment; understanding of networking.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair computer and other technical issues that arise
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (2 to 4 hours); a technology server room (2 to 4 hours); a computer laboratory (6 to 8 hours).
- Work is normally performed in offices, labs, and classrooms, but does require working some split office, satellite lab, and workbench locations that can subject employees to abnormal temperatures and noise.
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has occasional exposure to physical risks, including exposure to vibration, a risk of electric shock, airborne particles, or oil.
- May, on rare occasions, work in a confined space, near moving mechanical parts, or in inclement weather conditions.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Work involves occasional exposure to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs. May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours.
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone and/or pager at all times.
- Occasionally works early and/or late hours to include weekends.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.