Basic Position Information
Job Code: 4130
Title: Computing Operations Specialist II
Department: Computing, Telecom & Video Net
Essential Personnel: Y
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Computing / Telecom
FLSA Classification: NE
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Computing Operations Specialist II supports and maintains functionality of all computer hardware equipment throughout the university, including PCs, laptops, printers, scanners, and any other IT related equipment, ensuring that equipment is operational at all times for staff, faculty, and students.
- Repairs, maintains, supports, and secures all university computing equipment.
- Responds to, updates, and closes service tickets appropriately.
- Performs upgrades on hardware and software as required.
- Coordinates the computer lab upgrade project each fiscal year.
- Assists with inventory tagging and with updating work orders and the database.
- Sets up and tears down IT equipment at remote sites as required.
- Installs and troubleshoots telecommunication network connections repairs.
- Mentoring student worker/temporary works; assists with training staff on equipment usage; provides IT related expertise and assistance to other groups.
- Moves and relocates computer equipment throughout the university as required.
- Prepares and submits proper documentation for computing equipment repairs, including labor reimbursements.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Associate's degree or 60 hours of college course work
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
- Bachelor's degree in IT, Computer Information Systems, or a related field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of how to set up basic computer and peripheral equipment;
- Understanding of technical issues that arise in a higher education environment; understanding of networking.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office;
- Good analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to use service ticket software
- Ability to troubleshoot, diagnose, and repair computer and other technical issues that arise
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; an office (2 to 4 hours); a technology server room (2 to 4 hours); a computer laboratory (6 to 8 hours).
- Work is normally performed in offices, labs, and classrooms, but does require some split office and data center environment work that can subject employees to abnormal temperatures and noise.
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has occasional exposure to physical risks, including exposure to vibration, a risk of electric shock, airborne particles, or oil.
- May, on rare occasions, work in a confined space, near moving mechanical parts, or in inclement weather conditions.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination, good spatial awareness, and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Work involves occasional exposure to potentially hazardous or cancer-causing agents or chemicals.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required. Must have the ability to move items of up to 75lbs.
- May be asked to respond to problems or provide service after hours.
- Expected to carry and respond to cell phone and/or pager at all times.
- Occasionally works early and/or late hours to include weekends.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Communicates clearly, concisely, and with courtesy.
- Carefully listens to customer or thoroughly reads correspondence, and uses good judgment to respond appropriately. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Communicates requests for further action or resources to appropriate individuals with tact.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills with multiple hardware and software systems.
- Effectively applies expertise to identify and troubleshoot user issues.
- Competent to install and configure new systems.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical support to others.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.