Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2154
Title: College Business Administrator II
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Administrative Support
Job Sub-Family: Business Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The College Business Administrator II manages the administrative, financial, and human resources operations of the college, and serves as liaison to all staff, faculty, students, university departments, community partners, and vendors.
- Manages and provides oversight of the college's financial activity, budgets, scholarships, grant administration, and human resources operations.
- Interprets, reviews, and updates departmental policies and procedures; ensures that departments and centers are in compliance with all university, federal, and state policies and procedures.
- Manages financial activities, reviewing and approving expenditure documents, directing and overseeing upcoming fiscal year budget planning, and monitoring and reviewing budgets, revenues, expenses, and fund equity balances.
- Ensures that department monthly verification reconciliations are completed, including research grant administration; generates monthly financial and budget reports, including fund equity reports and tracking.
- Manages, evaluates, and cross trains staff for daily office functions and operations to ensure flexibility with staff coverage.
- Creates ePRFs to fund positions to pay faculty, staff, and students; initiates the H-1B Visa process for approved faculty.
- Collaborates as necessary with the Facilities department and the provost office to ensure that the required office space is available and at the appropriate standard; oversees space management, key control, and physical inventory control processes.
- Provides grant and research administration oversight for the college.
- Provides forecasts of the college's financial health to the Dean and the college leadership to enable the assessment of the college's current and future plans and its viability.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's Degree in Business, Management, Business Administration, or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Master's degree in a Business field is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of higher education protocols and procedures, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of basic accounting principles.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Excel and PeopleSoft;
- Strong analytical, critical thinking, and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Strong attention to detail;
- Good leadership skills.
- Ability to train and develop staff;
- Ability to understand, interpret, and communicate financial data; ability to interpret, apply, and enforce policies, procedures, and general practices;
- Ability to communicate effectively with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.