Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3764
Title: Career Counselor I
Department: Career Development Center
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 12
Grade Min: $43,001
Grade Mid: $51,601
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Career Counselor I develops and implements comprehensive career services by providing career counseling, job search coaching and employment contacts to enrolled students and graduates of the university.
- Conducts individual sessions with students to counsel and provide advice on career and job search issues.
- Maintains confidentiality regarding all student and alumni interaction and records.
- Uses statistically valid assessment tools and reliable reference materials to enhance services and improve the quality of resources.
- Assists in the planning and implementation of job fairs.
- Establishes relationships with employers, faculty, and students.
- Creates and maintains databases.
- Develops professional correspondence and marketing materials to promote services offered to internal and external constituencies.
- Meets departmental goals and objectives.
- Participates in local and regional professional organizations as required.
- Facilitates workshops related to career and job search issues.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends in resume and cover letter writing;
- Knowledge of trends in employment, hiring, and of modern skills desired by employers.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to use all relevant software and technology platforms or other programs used by the university; ability to handle sensitive student information;
- Ability to represent the university professionally;
- Ability to apply critical thinking;
- Ability to be creative;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.