Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3097
Title: Associate Director, Student Activities
Department: Student Activities
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: Pre-Defined
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Student Activities manages, advises, and addresses all issues with Greek organizations The Associate Director directs, leads, and advises UHD Mariachi and ESports; advises UHD Drumline; co-manages the Student Lounge; leads assessment efforts for the department. Serves as director in director's absence;
- Directs, leads, manages, advises, and addresses all issues with Greek organizations. Ensures compliance with federal, state, and campus regulations and rules. Serves as first line responder to allegations organizational misconduct.
- Directs, leads, manages, advises, and addresses all issues with the Esports competitive teams, center, and equipment. Responsible for establishing and enforcing center rules.
- Directs, leads, advises, and addresses all issues with the UHD Mariachi. Responds to performance requests. Responsible for establishing and enforcing performance and group rules.
- Serves as advisor for UHD Drumline
- Provides support with planning and execution of major event programming
- Serves as the Acting Director of Student Activities in absence of the Director
- Assists with managing the operations and safety of the Student Lounge and surrounding area
- Leads assessment efforts for the department
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Experience with Greek organizations and processes;
- Experience with directing, writing, and playing Mariachi music; experience with electronic sports and gaming; experience with event planning
- Master's degree in Higher Education, Student Affairs, or related field
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of Greek organizations and processes
- Knowledge of electronic sports and gaming
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good organizational, time management, and project management skills.
- Ability to apply theory in practice in a university setting; ability to coach vocalists;
- Ability to create musical scores and arrangements;
- Ability to perform live music; ability to create training programs for students;
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Primarily works in an office environment with occasional outside duties necessary for programming; primarily works in noisy environment
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather and extreme temperatures.
- Position requires frequent walking, standing, sitting, carrying, lifting, and pushing; occasional stooping and kneeling
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.