Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2860
Title: Associate Director, Community Engagement and Service Learning
Department: Quality Enhancement Plan
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Associate Director, Community Engagement & Service Learning leads direct the Center for Community Engagement and Service Learning. The Associate Director will set the programming for the center, and ensure the proper implementation.
- Oversee the planning and implementation of Signature Events such as GatorServe - 9/11 and MLK, Community Partners Fair, Community Engagement Showcase(s), and Appreciation Luncheon.
- Seeks opportunities for grants from foundations as well as external funding agencies to support CCESL's programs. Works with the Advancement Office regarding foundation support.
- Manages the community engagement Work Study Program: sets up contracts with community partners, obtains position descriptions from them, recruits and places students, provides training, maintains contact with students and partners.
- Guides the Community Scholars Program, plans projects with the students and provide practical and useful information about UHD and external programs.
- Manages the Program Coordinator, AmeriCorps VISTA (if applicable), and student helpers
- Manages the Community Engagement (CE) grants including, soliciting applications, organizing application reviews, ensuring funds are spent correctly, communicating with all the stakeholders, and collecting reports and summarizing data.
- Oversees the internship program in the summers, if funding is secured.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Supervises student workers and/or temporary employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Trains and counsels others. Provides feedback to a supervisor regarding other employees' performance, but does not make hiring and dismissal recommendations.
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience. Experience in higher education
- Worked with community engagement programs,
- excellent organizational capabilities,
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge working with data collection and analysis to guide decisions;
- Proficient in Excel.
- Excellent communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community;
- Ability to work collaboratively.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Manages project stages from proposal to completion ensuring project objectives are met within project budget and projected time frames.
- Clearly defines roles and responsibilities of project team; ascertains and secures necessary resources; and monitors project performance.
- Keeps management apprised of project status.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.