Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3201
Title: Assistant Director, User Support Services-Technical Services
Department: User Support Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: User Support
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, User Support Services-Technical Services manages all technical systems including responsibility for overseeing research, development, implementation and support.
- Oversees and manages technical systems including design, research, planning, development, risk management, forecasting, testing, implementation, and management of upgrades, change, and vendor support.
- Provides technical leadership, project management, and broad technical expertise and works closely with IT management, all IT teams, students, faculty, and staff.
- Troubleshoots, provides root cause analysis, identifies solutions, and resolves issues and constraints using sound judgment.
- Conducts technical training sessions for IT staff , assists with the development of staff technical knowledge base, mentors staff, and contributes to talent development for UHD IT.
- Establishes business processes and standards related to technical systems and review all work produced by development team to ensure work product meets established standards.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- Full Time Employees Part Time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Information Systems or a related field
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
- Experience supervising technical staff
- Technical project management experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to train and manage personnel
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in some or all of the following environments during the working day; office environment, classroom, training room, and computer laboratory, auditorium, and workshop.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 25lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
Building External Relationships
- Demonstrates the ability to build rapport and develop relationships with external constituents.
- Displays a genuine interest in constituents' ideas and concerns, and pursues mutual interests and aspirations between the university and external constituents.
- Builds trust and forms alliances through shared respect and cooperation.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.