Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2240
Title: Assistant Director, Student Business Services
Department: Student Business Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $72,252
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Student Financials coordinates daily activities and operations of the Cashiers Office, assists with semester setup as it pertains to Student Financials, offers support and guidance for third party, refunds and customer service.
Coordinates with other departments to secure and update enrollment and updates current Student Financial setup in Campus Solutions
- Manages Cashiers Office by creating processes and procedures to enforce university cash handling policy; managing daily team interactions and university deposits; managing employee time reporting
- Coordinates with the Financial Aid office to update state, institutional and federal funds on student accounts; processes valid refunds via third party vendors
- Produces new entities, charges and payments to update student activity in the system, assists with managing security access for Student Financial module, creating/updating queries for data reports and analysis, update the foundations of Student Financial setup as needed
- Creates student payment plans; updates financial reporting jobs; processes ATFs, monitors service indicators, risk assessment, functional resource for IT and Enrollment Management projects, creates vouchers and approves journal entries through the Finance module
- Liaison between students and parents on complex student accounts, investigates unusual issues that arise within Campus Solutions module
- Collaborates on developing, maintaining and improving the Continuity of Operations and Continuous Improvement Plan for Student Business Services; Supports third party vendor tuition payment processes, collection efforts and student outreach
- Performs other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Minimum of three (3) years of job-related experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office and Adobe
- Knowledge of PeopleSoft
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Trouble shooting/problem solving skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment, which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about sitting walking, standing, etc.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.