Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3156
Title: Assistant Director, Student Activities
Department: Student Activities
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Support
FLSA Classification: Exempt
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director of Student Activities is responsible for providing oversight to student organizations on campus, developing volunteer opportunities for general student body and emphasis on Student clubs and organizations and creating new/ enhanced student activities that promote pride and create new traditions. This position will assist with the execution of large-scale campus involvement. The Assistant Director works closely with students to initiate, plan, develop, and facilitate events and activities to enhance the quality of student life and University experience for all students.
- Creates, enhances and develop a culture of campus life
- Develops and implements programming, training and schedule of events related to all clubs and organizations
- Provides oversight to the student organizations
- Develops a comprehensive volunteer program with assessment
- Assists the department with execution of signature events and leadership initiatives
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises student workers
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Supervises the work of student employees.
- Minimum of four (4) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skill, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
- Ability to effectively manage time and execute projects in a timely manner
- Ability to work in a team environment
- Ability to make data-driven decisions with excellent communication to audiences served
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Work involves occasional exposure to elements, such as inclement weather and extreme temperatures. May be exposed to the loud noise of the student lounge. Must have the ability to move items of up to 50lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.