Basic Position Information
Job Code: 3903
Title: Assistant Director, Server and Storage Systems
Department: Comp, Telecom & Video Netwrk
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 18
Grade Min: $80,937
Grade Mid: $99,147
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Server and Storage Systems manages the team that is responsible for servers, storage, data protection, and network critical physical infrastructure which provides the backbone for all the University's Information Technology services.
- Manages the Data Center team, including processing weekly time sheets, reviewing the teams work, and training and counseling team members.
- Reviews and evaluates relevant products.
- Manages all projects assigned to the Data Center team.
- Administers the storage system, backup systems, monitoring systems, and network critical physical infrastructure.
- Oversees the budget for the division.
- Maintains vendor relationships.
- Remains up to date on product evolutions and new products; makes a determination when products need to be updated, and when better products are available.
- Acts as a project team member for projects assigned to other groups; provides team resources to other projects; keeps team members updated as necessary.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Information Technology Management, Computer Science, Engineering, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Must maintain a valid, current driver's license
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of best practice processes and procedures for backup administration, storage administration and networking, and server repair
- Knowledge of Server+ and Network+
- Knowledge of server administration for Windows and Linux
- Knowledge of data center power and cooling requirements.
- Strong technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office, PeopleSoft, e-Intelligence, and CRM, and EAB Navigate; excellent customer service skills; good interpersonal, and communication skills.
- Ability to troubleshoot server and storage issues
- Ability to create and maintain project plans
- Ability to review and manipulate reports
- Ability to manage staff
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment 6 to 8 hours. May be expected to be on-call and work outside normal business hours when required.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has occasional exposure to physical risks.
- Work involves rare exposure to elements, such as extreme temperatures, dirt, dust, fumes, airborne particles, smoke, oils, and unpleasant odors.
- May, on rare occasions, be required to work in a confined space or in a high, dangerous place.
- May, on rare occasions, be exposed to moving mechanical parts, vibration, or the risk of an electric shock.
- May be exposed to the loud noise of many fans running for the server systems.
- Must have precise hand-eye coordination and the ability to identify and distinguish colors.
- Must have the ability to move items of up to 100lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
- Possesses comprehensive knowledge and skills in a technical area.
- Effectively applies expertise to troubleshoot existing systems and develop solutions with existing technology.
- Competent to learn new technologies and integrate them with existing technology.
- Willing to share expertise and provide technical assistance to others.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.