Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2019
Title: Assistant Director, Research Compliance and Grant Administration
Department: Research & Sponsored Programs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 15
Grade Min: $58,809
Grade Mid: $70,571
UHD Succession Plan: Y
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Research Compliance and Grant Administration serves as a regulatory expert and is responsible for the coordination and administration of all activities directly related to research compliance.
- Works collaboratively with all university stakeholders and Office of Research Sponsored Programs (ORSP) staff to create a culture of compliance in all areas associated with the research, scholarship, creative enterprises, and all aspects of grant administration.
- Assists the pre-award staff in ORSP in the development and preparation of proposal applications, contracts, subcontracts, agreements, budgets, documentation, interpretation of funding requirements, and submission of grant proposals to external funding agencies on behalf of the university.
- Develops and maintains current expertise while training university stakeholders in uniform guidance and applicable federal, state, and private agencies' regulations and procedures.
- Monitors, administers, and ensures compliance in grant and research areas including, but not limited to, human subjects, bio-safety, animal care, time and effort reporting, federal assurances and designations, and conflicts of interest, data management, and export control.
- Conducts research; secures sensitive materials; protects data.
- In collaboration with other entities, establishes policies and procedures to foster a research environment that promotes the responsible conduct of research, grant compliance, and administration activities to meet university and external agency requirements and regulations.
- Ensures regulatory compliance of secured grants; interprets federal or governmental rules and laws as they apply to grant contracts.
- Trains under the direction of the ORSP leadership to develop expertise in all aspects of grant administration.
- Assists ORSP leadership to investigate instances of potential regulatory non-compliance, to draft investigation reports, and to submit reports to committees for appropriate action.
- Assists pre-award staff in ORSP with the development and preparation of proposal applications, contracts, sub-contracts, agreements, budgets, and documentation, with the interpretation of funding requirements, and with the submission of grant proposals to external funding agencies.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Minimum of four (4) years of job experience in research compliance or sponsored programs administration
- Advanced degree is preferred.
- In-depth knowledge of research compliance is preferred.
- CIP or CRA certification is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of research compliance and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices in a higher education setting.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.