Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2588
Title: Assistant Director, Post-Award Services/Accountant
Department: Research & Sponsored Programs
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Research
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 17
Grade Min: $72,265
Grade Mid: $88,524
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Post-Award Services/Accountant oversees the financial and accounting administration of grants and contracts received from all grant funding sources.
- Completes all annual university certifications, university reports, and Department of Health & Human Services Federal Wide Assurance certification.
- Submits agency financial and progress reports, as required by agency.
- Processes time and effort reports each semester.
- Completes post-award monitoring to ensure compliance with rules and regulations, including, but not limited to, accounts receivable, invoicing, cash draw-downs, expenditures, financial reporting, cost sharing documentation, cost transfers, voucher approvals, extensions, account close-out, indirect costs, sub recipient monitoring, and annual audit requirements.
- Creates cost centers and budgets for new awards.
- Provides assistance in reviewing award documents, sponsor regulations and requirements, and university policies and procedures to ensure grants and contracts are in compliance with applicable regulations.
- Creates restricted fund groups and related support cost centers; enters account modifications; lifts flags; freezes and deletes accounts.
- Provides financial and regulation guidance to principal investigators, faculty, and departmental and college staff; assists with questions regarding expenditures and budgetary projections, sponsored project requirements, and university/agency fiscal policies and procedures; provides financial data or reports, as requested.
- Provides assistance to internal, state or federal auditors conducting reviews of sponsored programs.
- Participates in the implementation of training programs; prepares training materials and trains faculty, project personnel, and staff on research and sponsored programs; develops and/or recommends processes and procedures to maximize staff efficiencies.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Bachelor's Degree in Accounting or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
- Certified Research Administrator is preferred
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the federal, agency, state, and university policies, procedures, and guidelines pertaining to grant funding in a higher education environment; knowledge of the associated trends, issue, and accepted practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to move items of up to 15lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.