Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2234
Title: Assistant Director, Network Systems
Department: Technical Services
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Technology Services
Job Sub-Family: Technical Services
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 19
Grade Min: $91,458
Grade Mid: $112,036
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Network Systems provides direction and leadership to the Network team and serves as backup to the Director of Technical Services.
- Ensures that the LAN, WLAN, WAN, Data Center, DR, Remote, and Cloud Network Infrastructures deployment installations are implemented with the appropriate software and hardware tools for failsafe operation, for robust, scalable, secure, and optimized network performance, and for high network availability, utilizing best practices, innovation technology, and latest trends in technology.
- Develops network strategies for data, voice, and video networks and network security; leads multiple projects regarding various network devices and network services, collaborating with others and making recommendations as necessary; identifies problematic areas and implements strategic solutions preventing service interruptions ensuring the delivery and operation of a highly reliable network infrastructure.
- Oversees the day-to-day operation of the computer networks including hardware and software support, training, and special projects.
- Ensures quality and responsive services are maintained through ongoing preventative maintenance, hardware and software network upgrades and enhancements, network assessments for 5 year planning of network purchases, and proactive network management and network performance monitoring for all network devices and network infrastructure.
- Provides maintenance and support of the LAN, WLAN, WAN, Data Center, DR, Remote, and Cloud Network Infrastructures; provides continued support and integration for converged networks using data, voice, and video with highly available bandwidth; configures and maintains network devices including wireless, firewalls, VPN, edge routers, core network switches, and distribution switches.
- Manages network resources, including the network team, vendors, and contractors; provides technical leadership and support for the network team, IT Departments, and other college users; builds a highly competent and well-trained team, providing ongoing training as required.
- Assists and provides technical network support to other IT technology staff, such as performing scheduled network maintenance, monitoring network devices, providing internet and intranet support, and troubleshooting network problems; acts as second in command for Technical Services.
- Develops strategies for network core services such as network segmentation, access controls, network security policies, data center, and disaster recovery and failover; performs successful shutdowns of the primary data center and ensures that all mission critical applications are up and available with no service disruptions at secondary data center.
- Provides network design and configuration for new emerging technologies including new buildings, IoT devices, and network segmentation for faculty, staff, and students, making efficient use of the network, network applications, and network services.
- Manages network security polices for the Data Center and Internet Edge devices including Next Generation firewalls, VPN and security policy appliances.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Has primary responsibility for conducting performance evaluations and making recommendations for hiring and dismissing employees.
- Bachelor's degree in Computer Science or a related field
- Minimum of seven (7) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of all network technology, including LAN, WAN concepts, wireless technology, and VOIP concepts, and all related trends, issues, and accepted practices; knowledge of Network Advance IP protocols, Wireless, Cloud Networking, Network and Security, DR, Data Center, and LAN/WAN/ISP converged networks.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills; good customer service skills; strong troubleshooting skills.
- Ability to manage staff, ability to keep abreast of the latest advances in technology.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Supervises the work of staff employees.
- Sets clear goals and expectations within reasonable timeframes.
- Motivates staff through constructive feedback, challenging assignments, and recognition of achievements.
- Provides mentorship and guidance by sharing expertise and best practices.
- Supports staff by providing essential resources, professional development opportunities, and open communication.
- Promptly addresses performance issues with appropriate measures and discretion.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.