Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2295
Title: Assistant Director, Library Planning and Assessment
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Library
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: Vital
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: N
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director, Library Planning and Assessment facilitates administrative functions for the Library, including data gathering and reporting, assessment, planning, budgets, procurement, and property management. The Assistant Director enables smooth library operations in order to provide collection resources and a high standard of customer service.
- Gathers data on library operations and performance, and provides reports for public information, information agencies, and quality control support.
- Supports planning efforts with information gathering and analysis on library and higher education issues.
- Represents the library at university and system-wide meetings as required, as a replacement and supplement for the Executive Director.
- Oversees the budget, procurement operations, and library operations in the absence of the Executive Director.
- Serves as property custodian, overseeing the library capital inventory.
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
Delegation of Work:
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or a related field.
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of library management, planning, and assessment, and of the related trends, issues, and accepted practices.
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to collect and analyze data; ability to present data in multiple formats; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Customer Relations Management
- Ensures customer's needs and expectations are addressed within his/her department or section. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Mentors and guides department/section staff by sharing knowledge and best practices to appropriately respond to customer's requests.
- Monitors staff interactions with customers for professional conduct, consistent application of university policies and procedures, and follow up of outstanding requests.
- Assumes responsibility for addressing complex or unusual requests.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Manages department or section operations consistent with department/section goals and objectives.
- Administers the department/section budget ensuring effective utilization of financial resources and appropriate disbursement of funds.
- Fosters a cooperative and productive work environment through motivation, encouragement, and mentorship of staff.
- Ensures department/section compliance with university and department policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Keeps management apprised of department/section activities and issues requiring senior management input.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.