Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2250
Title: Assistant Director, Executive Communications
Department: Advancement & University Relations
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: External Relations
Job Sub-Family: Communications & Marketing
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Assistant Director of Executive Communications supports the Office of University Relations as a communications liaison with the Office of the President. The Assistant Director manages executive communications for the UHD President, including letters, speeches, email, articles for newsletters, social media and other correspondence. This position collaborates on executive communications strategies that support the university's vision, mission, goals and objectives. The Assistant Director of Executive Communications produces high-quality professional communications that support the UHD President's objectives and further enhance UHD's relationships with key stakeholders.
- Serves as principal executive writer for the UHD's Office of the President.
- Supports University Relations with communications projects, writing assignments
- Collaborates with Advancement and University Relations leadership in strategizing executive communications
- Works to strengthen UHD Office of the President's relationships with key internal and external stakeholders.
- Staffs events for UHD's Office of the President, supporting executive leadership
- Functions as a brand ambassador, making sure to include key message points within all executive communications and preserving UHD's brand internally and externally.
- May provide basic photography when required
- May have supervisory responsibilities
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Baccalaureate degree in Communications, Writing, Journalism, English or a related field from an accredited higher education institution
- Ten years job related professional writing experience, with five years of that experience directly writing executive communications
- Experience in higher education, government or corporate communications
- Master's degree
- Experience in conducting research and completing writing assignments for upper-level administrators.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of higher education processes
- Knowledge of Microsoft Office Software
- Knowledge of social media platforms including Twitter and LinkedIn
- Knowledge of email distribution platforms
- Knowledge of web content management systems
- Strong speaking and interpersonal skills
- Ability to conduct research and write at an exceptional, professional level;
- Ability to establish consistent messaging content to achieve the highest level of excellence for internal and external executive communications;
- Ability to Effectively research and write across a range of communications vehicles (e.g., memoranda, remarks, briefings, presentations, policy documents, testimonies, op-eds, etc.);
- Ability to craft communications at a high volume using a tone/voice that complements UHD leadership;
- Ability to respond to communications-related issues in a timely manner;
- Ability to multitask and prioritize assignments; and
- Ability to collaborate with cross-functional groups across the organization
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment. Some local travel required
- Work is normally performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements.
- Position is physically comfortable; individual has discretion about walking, standing, etc.
- Occasional lifting, pushing, climbing, and pulling may be required.
- This position will require frequent attendance at off-campus events during non-standard business hours.
- Work environment involves minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Formulates plans and strategies to proactively resolve anticipated problems.
- Prudently responds to unforeseen problems through careful consideration and analysis of problem and relevant information and circumstances.
- Recognizes and apprises appropriate university administrator when resolution requires senior management input and/or approval.
- Demonstrates the ability to express information clearly and concisely in writing.
- Formulates and writes information to effectively communicate messages, ideas, and/or concepts for the intended recipient or audience.
- Uses appropriate words and tone, and correct grammar.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.