Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2286
Title: Assistant Director, Criminal Justice Training Center Program
Department: Criminal Justice Training Ctr.
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Program Administration
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: Y
Motor Vehicle Record Check: Y
The Assistant Director, Criminal Justice Center assists with the supervision and administration of the Criminal Justice Training Center Extended Services program in coordinating, training and preparing basic police recruits to become state licensed peace officers.
- Teaches police related courses, prepares curriculum per Texas mandates (TCOLE); prepares classroom instruction materials and instruct students.
- Assists in developing relevant lesson plans for changes and additions
- Conducts physical training by incorporating physical fitness protocols and preparing recruits for defensive tactics
- Instructs in-service and extended service training to include, in-service traffic, radar, ASP Baton, OC spray, Human Trafficking and other extended service classes as needed
- Develops classes and training schedules by contacting instructors, coordinating schedules and determining material needs
- Observes and evaluate Instructors' performance to determine suitability of teaching and curriculum relevance
- Occasional driving or operation of University vehicle
- Performs all other duties as assigned
- Supervises full-time and/or part-time employees
Delegation of Work:
- Regularly assigns work to subordinate(s)
- Makes decision on evaluating employee performance; hiring new employees; disciplinary actions; makes decision on scheduling employee work hours; makes decision on coaching and counseling; training; provides recommendations on handling employee grievances and complaints; and makes decision on granting time off
- Minimum of five (5) years Police Academy experience.
- Valid state issued driver's license; TCOLE Advanced Peace Officer certification. TCOLE licensed instructor
- Defensive Tactics and/or Firearms Instructor certification is an asset.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of law enforcement
- Knowledge of trends, issues, and accepted practices relevant to the position
- Candidates must have strong analytical and problem solving skills, as well as excellent interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Primarily an inside office environment except physical and extended services training
- oMaintaining physical condition for medium to heavy lifting; bending, stooping, kneeling, crawling, jumping and climbing for participation in physical fitness and defense tactic trainings. May exert up to 50lbs occasionally, 25lbs frequently or 10lbs constantly oPotentially involve inclement weather, noise, and other environmental conditions oEssential and marginal functions may require maintaining physical condition necessary for sitting, standing and walking for prolonged period of times.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
- Leads the work of assigned staff.
- Assigns projects and tasks with clear instructions and understanding of work to be performed.
- Mentors and guides by sharing expertise, knowledge of work rules and procedures, and best practices.
- Follows up to ensure tasks and projects are completed within reasonable timeframes.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.