Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2136
Title: Accountant III
Department: General Accounting
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Financial Services
Job Sub-Family: Accounting, Budget & Finance
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 16
Grade Min: $65,866
Grade Mid: $79,040
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Accountant III serves as the lead Accountant and approves all entries prepared by UHD employees. The Accountant III collaborates with Accountant staff with the fiscal year-end processes and procedures and UHD's submission of the Annual Financial Report (AFR) and various State of Texas reports.
- Ensures transactions related to cash and expend are reconciled with the university's general ledger; Prepares annual budget appropriations according to the State of Texas Legislature
- Collaborates with Accounting staff concerning fiscal year-end processes and procedures and UHD's submission of the annual financial report (AFR) and various state reports. UHD, UHS, State reporting, special projects, including audits, system upgrades, implementations, etc.
- Prepares for financial month-end and year-end close; approves journal entries; releases USAS batches.
- Ensures State-funded payroll transactions are correct and posted, and payments for benefits are timely and accurate for year-end payrolls;
- Performs payroll analysis and projections for the Budget Office to ensure the proper type of funds are available
- Calculates the amount of statutory and designated tuition that is collected, ensures the required withholds are transferred, and the proper amounts are deposited into the state treasury
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- May assign, schedule and monitor the work of staff
- Bachelor's degree in Business, Accounting, or a related field
- Minimum of five (5) years of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of the functions of USAS;
- Knowledge of the rules and regulations of the university as they pertain to the accounting function
- Strong analytical and problem solving skills;
- Excellent interpersonal and communication skills;
- Proficiency in using computer software, particularly MS Excel and PeopleSoft
- Ability to establish budgets, make payments for the state, and check cash balances;
- Ability to produce reports;
- Ability to work independently;
- Ability to meet deadlines
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment
- Work is performed in a typical, comfortable interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
Research and Analysis
- Applies knowledge and skills to collect and analyze relevant data and information.
- Assesses benefits and risks, and prepares comprehensive reports of findings.
- Submits recommendations for management's review and evaluation.
- Manages assigned financial resources in compliance with federal, State, and university policies and procedures.
- Monitors expenditures to ensure they are authorized and within approved budget.
- Reports accurate and reliable data of financial transactions and resources.
- Promptly notifies management of budget issues and/or discrepancies.
- Demonstrates the ability to make informed decisions in a timely manner.
- Assimilates and/or secures relevant information to assess the risks and benefits of alternatives.
- Considers impact of decision in the long and short term.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.