Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2444
Title: Academic Success Coach
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Student Operations
Job Sub-Family: Student Success
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 13
Grade Min: $47,731
Grade Mid: $57,277
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The Academic Success Coach fosters the development of students' skills, behaviors, and habits that contribute to success in college and beyond, and helps students to identify and overcome obstacles that impede academic success.
- Fosters the development of students' skills, behaviors, and habits that contribute to success in college and beyond, and helps students to identify and overcome obstacles that impede academic success.
- Assists students to develop self-efficacy by identifying and overcoming obstacles that may be impeding academic success; motivates students to practice self-regulation and to take ownership of their academic success.
- Helps students to identify, develop, and implement learning strategies and study skills specific to course materials.
- Refers students to appropriate academic personnel and support resources, and collaborates with others as necessary to monitor and accelerate the academic progress of referred students.
- Maintains and monitors a caseload of first time in college, probationary, and transfer students; monitors the progress of caseload students via check-ins, scheduled meetings, proactive outreach, and regular communication.
- Collects, inputs, analyzes, and interprets data as required.
- Collaborates with others as necessary at team meetings, presentations, and trainings.
- Creates and develops relevant course work for the 3099 class, workshops, and other programming within the ATA program.
- Teaches and facilitates at ATA programming events, including, but not limited to, TEx Conference, Program Meetings, Kickoffs, Orientation, 3099 class, 3099 Office Hours, workshops, and CLC's; develops the Peer Mentor program.
- Supervises student workers
- Performs all other duties as assigned.
- May supervise Student Employees
Delegation of Work:
- May assign work to subordinate(s)
- May supervise the work of student workers
- Minimum of two (2) years of related job experience, including experience working with students.
- Teaching experience is preferred; previous experience working with at-risk students is preferred.
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of coaching, instructional, and mentoring techniques used in a higher education environment, and the related trends, issues, and best practices; knowledge of the processes and resources required for organizing and leading group and collaborative activities; knowledge of traditional and online course practices and procedures.
- Good technical skills, including proficiency in MS Office and on university software; strong analytical and problem solving skills; excellent interpersonal and communication skills.
- Ability to balance multiple demands and effectively organize and manage time and tasks; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community.
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements; individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks. Must have the ability to move items of up to 30lbs.
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates the ability to advise and assist university students and/or prospective students with academic plans and course selection, financial options, career plans, and/or student opportunities.
- Shares relevant knowledge and insight to apprise students of the university's programs and services.
- Provides encouragement and guidance to foster student success.
- Listens and responds to student requests and concerns with patience and understanding.
- Treats students with respect.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.