Basic Position Information
Job Code: 2782
Title: 1st Year Experience and Instruction Librarian
Essential Personnel: N
Job Family: Academic Administration
Job Sub-Family: Library
FLSA Classification: E
Job Grade: 14
Grade Min: $52,981
Grade Mid: $63,578
UHD Succession Plan: N
Criticality of Position: N/A
Career Ladder: In-Range
Campus Security Authority: Y
Screening Committee: N
Motor Vehicle Record Check: N
The 1st Year Experience and Instruction Librarian plans, reviews, and implements the library's first year experience initiatives, and provides curriculum-integrated instructional sessions to first year students primarily.
- Teaches classes to first-year students, contacting professors about class norms, reading projects, creating lesson plans, and following up with students as required
- Works on the research desk for individuals that may come into the library
- Provides reference research assistance to students, faculty, and other affiliated patrons
- Serves as a subject librarian and faculty liaison, with duties including collection development through the selection and marketing of library resources
- Works with peers on library outreach programs; plans and promotes library outreach and attends host programs.; follows up with patrons who attended outreach events
- Assists faculty with cataloging and with their research needs
- Promotes the availability and benefits of Freshman Instruction to faculty and students
- Performs all other duties as assigned
Delegation of Work:
- Master's degree in Library and Information Science or a related field from a University accredited by the American Library Association
- Minimum of one (1) year of related job experience
Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Knowledge of online and/or in-library instruction, and the related trends, issues, and accepted practices;
- Knowledge of web-based course ware, such as Blackboard
- Effective organizational, problem-solving, customer service, and communication skills;
- Strong project management skills, including managing collaborative projects between the library and other departments involved with the First Year Experience;
- Basic marketing skills
- Ability to assess student/faculty needs during a reference interview to determine what information they need;
- Ability to conduct research; ability to effectively communicate with a wide range of individuals and constituencies in a diverse university community
Work Location and Physical Demands
Primary Work Location:
- Works in an office environment.
- Work is performed in a typical interior work environment which does not subject the employee to any unpleasant elements;
- Individual has discretion in relation to walking, standing etc., and has minimal exposure to physical risks
Position Specific Competencies
Commitment to Excellence - UHD
- Demonstrates a commitment to competently perform his/her job duties and responsibilities within established time frames.
- Continuously strives to improve work performance.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her commitments to the university.
- Contributes to the success of the university by consistently providing quality results in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
Respect and Cooperation
- Treats others with courtesy, respect, and dignity in the workplace.
- Promotes cooperation through open and honest communications and consideration of others ideas, thoughts, and opinions.
- Demonstrates high ethical standards of conduct in the performance of his/her job duties and responsibilities.
- Accepts responsibility for his/her actions.
- Respects and complies with department and university policies, procedures, and work rules.
- Possesses required job skills and knowledge.
- Demonstrates the ability to apply those skills and knowledge to competently perform his/her job duties and assignments.
- Takes responsibility to accomplish job assignments within reasonable deadlines.
- Willing to accept new projects and/or commitments.
- Does due diligence to complete projects within specified timeframes and/or fulfill commitments.
- Arrives to work on time prepared and ready to contribute.
- Willingly adjusts to changing work assignments or conditions.
- Open to changes in operational procedures, technology, and/or organizational structure.
- Views changes as opportunities for learning and professional development.
- Displays a positive attitude to encourage others.
- Promptly responds to changes in work priorities and/or unexpected circumstances or situations.
Computer/Automated System Proficiency
- Proficient in the use of university applications or automated systems to perform job duties.
- Complies with related policies, procedures, and work rules to maintain system security and data integrity.
Focus on Customer Service
- Focuses on customer's needs and expectations. (Customers can be students, external constituents, employees, or university guests.)
- Respectfully ascertains customer's needs and determines appropriate response.
- Promptly responds by providing requested information, takes appropriate action, or refers customer to appropriate individual or department.
- If further actions need to be taken, advises customers of realistic timeframes for a response to their request.
- Follows up with customers on outstanding requests in a timely manner.
- Tactfully explains to customers why their needs and/or expectations cannot be met if the university does not provide the requested information or services.
- Demonstrates the ability to orally convey subject or message clearly and concisely to the intended audience.
- Generates interest and enthusiasm in the subject or message from the participants.
- Responds to participants' reactions or comments, and adjusts delivery style and/or format of presentation as needed.
- Possesses a thorough understanding of the subject or topic to provide practical responses to questions or issues.
- Displays applicable visuals and provides appropriate written materials to support the presentation.
This job description may not encompass all duties and responsibilities associated with the position.