The Teacher Retirement System of Texas (TRS) provides retirement
(pension) benefits to UHD employees. To learn more about TRS retirement,
watch this instructional video. The
Differences Between the Teacher Retirement System (TRS) and the Optional
Retirement Program (ORP) Brochure provides general information to help you choose the
retirement plan that best suits your situation.
With TRS, employees:
- Are vested upon completion of 5 years of creditable service.
- Contribute 8% of their gross salary monthly. The state contributes 8% of the employee's gross salary to a state account.
- Earn interest at a rate of 2% annually on their account balance.
- Are eligible for "regular retirement" at age 65 with a minimum of 5 years of participation.
- Have optional "early retirement" with reduced benefits at age 55 with a minimum of 5 years participation.
- Receive under the standard annuity option, benefits calculated as 2.3% times the total years of membership in TRS times the average salary for the highest five years.
Additional TRS benefits include life insurance and disability income benefits. For more information on TRS retirement benefits contact ESO's Benefits Team.
Further information can be found on the TRS website.