Skip to main content

Bachelor of Science Major in Interdisciplinary Studies
Frequently Asked Questions


1. What are the differences between the BS-IS degree and the BAIS degree?

Students seeking the BAIS degree are part of the Teacher Education program in the Department of Urban Education. Students seeking the Bachelor in Science with a major in Interdisciplinary Studies (BS-IS) degree are not part of the Teacher Education program. The BS-IS degree is housed in University College. Some students who graduate with the BS-IS degree ultimately apply to alternative certification programs in order to become certified.

2. In the lower-division requirements, what are considered Arts/Humanities?

These include art, drama, English, foreign language, humanities, music, philosophy, history and communications. Courses with the following prefixes are Arts/Humanities;

3. In the lower-division requirements, what courses are considered Social Science?

These include anthropology, geography, history, political science, psychology, sociology, and social science. Notice that history is considered both a humanities course and a Social Science course. Criminal justice and economics classes can also be used as social science classes. Courses with the following prefixes are Social Sciences;

4. What are options for the 3 hours of Math/Natural Science in the lower-level requirements?

This requirement may be fulfilled with any math, natural science, or computer science course in the College of Science and Technology beyond what fulfills the Core. These courses enhance analytical skills and encourage an interdisciplinary perspective. The "S" enchancement requirement for all UHD graduating is satisfied by this course.

5. What are regarded as equivalents of TCOM 3302?

Any upper-level English course with "writing" in the title is an approved option. Among these courses are essay writing, legal writing, creative writing, medical writing, environmental writing, science writing, and feature writing. Students must also complete a second writing intensive class to be chosen from the list of W courses. Both lists appear on the degree evaluation.

6. What courses are considered Arts/Sciences?

Any course taught in the College of Humanities and Social Sciences is appropriate. These include anthropology, art, American studies, drama, French, English, history, humanities, music, political science, philosophy, psychology, social science, sociology, social work, Spanish, and communication. In addition, natural science courses and math courses are acceptable, as well as criminal justice and education-related classes.

7. What limitations exist in selecting the 36 hours of upper-level Arts/ Sciences?

No more than 18 hours can be taken in one discipline or area of study, including the writing requirement. Students must complete a 9-hour concentration in one discipline or field of study which often serves as a basis for a minor--though completion of a minor is optional.  

8. How can the ethics requirement be fulfilled?

 To fulfill Ethics students may choose from the following options:
(Complete 1 course from PHIL 1301, 2301, 2302, 2305, 2310, 3301, 3302, 3305, 3310, 3315, 3317, 3319, 3320, 3322,3323, 3330, 3340, 3350, 3355, 3360; BA 3301, 3308; CJ 3311; COMM 4325; POLS 3300; SOCW 3364; SOSE 4303,4304)

9. Is a minor required?

No, a minor is not required; it is optional. Students are strongly encouraged to complete a minor when it can fit easily within their degree plan. Most minors require 18 hours. Consult with your BS-IS Academic Advisor about options for a minor.

10. How many hours of a degree must be completed at UHD?

UHD requires students complete 30 credit hours toward their degree in residence including a minimum of 18 hours of upper-level credit.

11. Can a field experience course be applied to this degree?

Yes. Contact the appropriate discipline in which the field experience will be developed. The limit for field experience credit is 6 hours--note that field experience is upper-level credit.

12. How can more information about the BSIS degree be obtained?

Contact Dr. Hovsepian, the degree coordinator, for specific information. She can be reached at 713-221-8926 in South - 601 or at

Back to Top


Last updated 11/4/2020 6:48 AM