How to Apply
Applicants should be US citizens or permanent residents, unfortunately we can not accept international students due to NSF restrictions. Juniors and seniors in STEM (Science-Technology-Engineering-Mathematics) majors are preferred but sophomores with strong backgrounds will be considered. GPA of at least 3.5 is also preferred.
Completed applications, including the application form, unofficial transcripts, and letters of recommendation, should be received on or before February 15 (extended to March 3). We expect to start making offers to applicants by February 28 (extended to March 15). Students not receiving initial offers will be wait-listed for opportunities and it usually takes 2-4 weeks to complete our selection process. Students invited to participate in the REU program must accept or reject the offer within a week. Questions regarding the application and selections procedures can be directed to ChanY@uhd.edu
A completed application will consist of the completed Online Application Form (see below) and two Letters of Recommendation (see How To Submit Your Application, below). Questions regarding the application process should be directed to ChanY@uhd.edu
Instructions for those writing letters of recommendation:
- Letter writers should include the applicant's name, how long they have known the applicant and in what capacity, and a ranking or evaluation of the applicant relative to their peer group. Please comment on overall research ability or potential, oral and written communication skills, ability to work independently, and enthusiasm.
- Please save your letter of recommendation as a pdf file. Name the file with the applicant's last name and first initial followed by the respondent's last name (if Dr. Smith writes a letter in support of Fred Jones' application, the file would be named JonesF_Smith.pdf). Only pdfs with appropriate file names will be accepted.
- Letters of recommendation should be sent directly by the letter writer to email@example.com
HOW TO SUBMIT YOUR APPLICATION
- Convert your transcript(s) into a pdf file. Name it with your last name and first initial. For example, Fred Jones would name his file JonesF_transcript.pdf. The pdf files can be created using Adobe Acrobat, recent versions of Microsoft Office (under "Save As" or "Print"), online pdf makers at Acrobat.com, or with free software tools from cutepdf.com or primopdf.com. Only pdfs with appropriate file names will be accepted.
- Please ask those writing your recommendation letters to email their letters of recommendation directly to firstname.lastname@example.org, following the instructions above.
ONLINE APPLICATION FORM