The Graduate Certificate in the Foundations of Data Analytics will provide learning professionals with the knowledge and skills necessary to begin to effectively analyze, but particularly understand the analysis of the growing amount of data available in a variety of disciplines and transform it into usable information for use in decision-making. Students will be able to organize, transform, and manipulate data in various formats. Learners will also be able to convert a data analytic problem and related information into a proper mathematical representation and also write code that is well documented and reproducible.
Admission requirements for the Graduate Certificate in the Foundations of Data Analytics are designed to identify applicants who have the ability, interest, and qualities necessary to complete the program. Admission is competitive and selective. Applicants must demonstrate that they possess the abilities, interests, and qualities necessary to successfully complete the program.
Spring 2021 Deadline for US residents November 15 and International October 1.
Applicants applying to the program should ensure the following requirements are met:
- A completed Apply Texas application which will include a personal statement (1,000 words or less) that addresses why you want to study data analytics
- Baccalaureate degree conferred by a regionally-accredited institution.
- Official University transcript(s) from which the applicant earned a Bachelor's degree and any advanced degree (if applicable). Official transcripts must reflect:
- the last 60 semester credit hours of course work and
- evidence of Bachelor's degree awarded and the cumulative GPA.
As admission to the certificate is competitive, candidates with a cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher and a sophomore or higher-level statistics course will be preferred. Resume documenting any work experience that emphasizes personal and professional accomplishments.
- One letter of recommendation or
recommendation form from an individual well-acquainted with your work and who are able to address your academic potential, for example, work supervisors and professors.
- Test of English as a Foreign Language (TOEFL) score, if you are a graduate of a university where English is not the primary language of instruction (preferred TOEFL scores are: an internet-based score of 81, a paper-based score of 553 or an IELTS score of 6.5 or higher.
If a student wishes to appeal their admissions decision, all written appeals must be directed to the Director of the Graduate program by emailing
. For example, if a student feels that there was an error in any documentation received.
Please view all of the application requirements on the UHD Admissions website before submitting your application.
The Certificate in the Foundations of Data Analytics requires a minimum of 12 graduate semester credit hours.
CS 5301||Programming Foundations for Data Analytics|
| STAT 5301||Statistical Foundations for Data Analytics|
|Database Management Systems
| STAT 5310
|Applied Regression Analysis
Multivariate Analysis and Nonparametric Statistics
For course descriptions please see the
Questions About Graduate Admission
Graduate Admissions Office
For any other information about the Graduate Certificate in the Foundations of Data Analytics contact the Assistant Director of Graduate Studies, Angel Griffin at
The University of Houston-Downtown
is accredited by the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools Commission on Colleges to award baccalaureate and masters degrees and certificate programs. Contact the Commission on Colleges at 1866 Southern Lane, Decatur Georgia 30033-4097 or call 404-679-4500 for questions about the accreditation of the University of Houston-Downtown.
One or more documents on this site are in PDF format. In order to view and print these document(s), you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. It can be downloaded from the Adobe website