How Do I Request Exam Approval?
UHD's Urban Education Department offers preparation for both undergraduate and post-baccalaureate students seeking Core Subjects EC-6 with ESL Supplemental, Core Subjects EC-6 with Bilingual Supplemental, Core Subjects 4-8 with ESL Supplemental, Special Education EC-12 and Core Subjects EC-6 with ESL Supplemental, or Secondary Certifications.
We welcome students into this program and encourage you to accept the challenge as we work together in creating outstanding teachers for Houston's children. For those individuals who are ready to take a TExES Exam, listed below is a step-by-step process for registration.
Important information to know before test registration
Candidates are strongly encouraged to take only one TExES exam on each test administration date and may only register for exams related to their certification area, as designated by their degree or certification plan. Registering for incorrect tests may result in extra charges and delay the registration process.
- There will be increased security at all test sites.
- Candidates may be photographed and fingerprinted at the test site.
- Candidates who do not agree to these security measures will not be allowed to test
- A current photo ID with correct name and information (matching the candidate's TEAL and Pearson account information) will be required at the testing site. Information in individual accounts must match, or the candidate will not be allowed to test. It is the individual's responsibility to keep information updated.
TEXES Day of the Test for more information.
TExES Retake Limit
Beginning September 1, 2015, candidates will be limited to
four (4) attempts to retake any certification examination. The TEA
Retake FAQ sheet will help answer many of your questions.
To request TExES Exam approval:
Complete and submit the
TExES Registration Request Form for each desired exam. (Allow up to two weeks for processing.) Approval will be emailed to the address on the form.
Pearson VUE website to set up your testing account, register for your approved exams, and pay testing fees. Print your receipt and admission ticket for test day.
For questions or concerns, contact UHD Certification Coordinator, Dr. Teryana Lamb, at (713) 221-2722 or
|BED 3307||TExES #190 BTLPT|
|PD I ||TExES #160 PPR EC-12|
TExES #154 ESL Supplemental
TExES #164 Bilingual Supplemental
|PD II||TExES #291 Core Subjects EC-6|
TExES #211 Core Subjects 4-8
TExES #231 ELAR 7-12
TExES #233 History 7-12
TExES #235 Math 7-12
TExES #236 Science 7-12
How Do I Request to be Recommended for Certification?
Listed below is the recommendation for State Teacher Certification requirements, as well as a procedure to follow once individual students meet these requirements.
Recommendation for Certification Requirements:
- Successfully complete the Department of Urban Education Teacher Preparation Program
- Graduate (Degree must be conferred by the University)
- Pass all required TExES exams for Certification Area
- After you have successfully completed the Department of Urban Education Teacher Preparation Program and passed all required certification tests, wait for a follow-up email with instructions from the Certification Officer. If you haven't heard from the Certification Officer you should reach out to the Certification Officer, Dr. Lamb,
email@example.com for next steps.
- If you apply with TEA/SBEC prior to completing the program and passing all required TExES exams, your name will be removed and you will be required to contact TEA/SBEC to discuss fee transfer and/or a refund.
- You will be required to respond to an Exit Survey before you will be able to complete the application process.
- Fill out and submit the
Recommendation Request Form.
- Once individuals receive recommendation, he/she will receive an automated e-mail from TEA
- Virtual teacher certificate should arrive within a few days following recommendation
For questions or concerns, contact UHD Certification Coordinator, Dr. Teryana Lamb, at (713) 221-2722 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Certification Testing Policies
Test Approval Policy for Finishers: Due to state certification testing and program changes, a UHD student who finished our teaching program and graduated more than 5 years prior to their request for testing will not be recommended for testing or remediation support for certification. If the Texas Education Agency (TEA) develops a policy concerning this matter, UHD will follow TEA code.
If you have tested and have not been successful on any attempt, you will need to complete remediation before retaking your certification exam.
Please note that a new policy was put in place to register for tests. All test registration must be submitted through the
Also, as of August 22, 2016, you will no longer be allowed to register for more than 2 tests at a time. You must plan accordingly and only register for tests that you plan on taking within the next 2-3 weeks.
If you have any questions about your options do not hesitate to contact Dr. Teryana Lamb, Coordinator of Education Compliance and Certification, at
email@example.com or 713-221-2722.