Students cannot independently declare a major in Social Work.
Admission to the Social Work Program is a competitive process. Requirements for acceptance into the program are:
- Acceptance into UHD
- Submission of a completed application packet, including
Satisfactory completion of English Composition I and II, plus Texas Common Core Mathematics requirement
- Minimum GPA standard of 2.5 in most recent 30 hours
- Possess quality, strength and appropriateness of writing sample
- Quality of and progress in prior academic history
- Demonstrated compliance and/or potential compliance with professional expectations as indicated in interactions and communications with staff, faculty, and students (see
- Demonstrated pool of applicants and number of available slots
- Needs of the community and profession
The BSW Admissions Committee, comprised of UHD social work faculty, will review applications and determine each applicant's admission status.
Bachelor of Social Work's Application Steps
- Student Applies & is admitted to UHD
- Student reviews BSW major requirements and fills out Application Form
- Student submits application and reference forms.
- Bachelor of Social Work Admissions Committee reviews application pool, decides admission status.
- Notifications sent to applicants.
- Admitted Applicants enter program & UHD system updates. Student records to reflect Social Work Major within 4 - 6 weeks.
- If, after four to six weeks, records for student accepted into program do not show Social Work Major, student contact Social Work program advisor for assistance.
Applications to the Social Work Program are accepted on an ongoing basis. Applications are reviewed monthly by the Admissions Committee. For a guaranteed admissions decision for the start of a semester, applications must be submitted by the following deadlines:
Fall semester: May 15
Spring semester: Nov. 15
Change of Major Status
Once admitted into the Social Work Program, the UHD system automatically codes those students as Social Work majors. This process can take up to 4 weeks after program acceptance and enrollment in UHD. Students who receive program admission but whose major is not reflected in their records after four weeks should notify the Social Work Program Director, Dawn McCarty, Ph.D., at (email@example.com).
Appeal of the Admissions Decision
Students with a conditional admission or who are denied admission and have additional, new information that may help inform the Admissions Committee's decision may appeal the decision. Appeals must be made in writing and postmarked within 20 days from the date of the admission's status letter. Within 20 days of the receipt of the student's appeal, the review will be completed by the Admissions Committee.
The Review Committee will issue a decision in writing within one week of the reconsideration. If the student has evidence that the Review Committee has made its decision in violation of the program's policies, the student may appeal the Committee's decision in the following sequence:
- To the Department Chair
- To the Dean of the College of Public Service. (This policy is informed by PS 03.A.04 for Grade Appeals.)
One or more documents on this site are in PDF format. In order to view and print these document(s), you will need the Adobe Acrobat Reader software. It can be downloaded from the Adobe website.